Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Turn Off Your Phone

My email alerts from Louisville City Hall have recently included this line at the top of meeting agenda notices:

"Please turn off all cell phones and other electronic devices prior to entering City Council Chambers."

Anymore is this just an annoyance, or should people be kicked out of meetings for letting their phone go off? Some people get pretty ticked when a phone goes off. I don't think the phone ringing should be cause for absolute banishment. I say the chair of the meeting makes a judgement call on the ring itself - banishment by subjective analysis. When someone has a version of Achy Breaky Heart blast into a meeting because they actually chose that for a ringtone, they should be asked to leave.

Not a serious political topic, but its been a long day. And I don't see this request online with the agendas, just in the emails. Maybe we email alert folks are a rude ringing bunch.

3 comments:

Doktorbombay said...

Absolutely a banishment offense.

Phone etiquette is missing from most venues. I blame it on rampant self absorption. But then, I get irritated whenever I hear a cell phone go off in public, even in the hardware store. How did we survive with only land lines?

My phone ringer is off more often than on. It's a time management thing with me. Leave a message, I check them frequently and schedule return calls when it's convenient for me. I don't take your call immediately, because then it's just convenient for you.

Plus, all it takes is for an old classic rock song referencing illegal drugs to start playing while in a client meeting (Fortune 100 company CFO) to make you change your ring tone and your on/off habits. He got a chuckle out of it, but I was pretty embarassed.

Anonymous said...

I'll say it's never been a problem that I've seen in Lafayette. Downright horrible in the Capitol sometimes, but embarrassment seems to do the trick with most folks.

Anonymous said...

Here's what you do: Get the cell phone numbers of all city council members and staff who may be present at a meeting. Dial the numbers during the meeting and catch those who forgot to turn off their cells. This should calm them down.