Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Erie Has The Purest Board Of Them All

Okay, I'm willing to accept that the newspapers look for the juiciest quotes but this one is a dig on fellow BoCo communities from Erie Mayor Andrew Moore. Regarding the decision to remain one of two BoCo communities to offer no compensation to their elected Board members, Moore is quoted in the Camera saying:

"They're up there because they want to be up there; they're up there for the right reason," Moore said of his fellow trustees. "They're not up there because they are trying to make a car payment."

Have you ever heard anybody over the years say they wanted the brain damage of a political campaign and subsequent commitment of a Council or Board seat because they need the money? What sort of comment is that?

Pick any random town, stay for an entire Council meeting and imagine doing that dozens of times a year for several years. Tell me you would do it for $5000, or even $10,000 a year.

People run for various reasons ranging from pet peeves to civic duty to megalomania. There is no deeper quality brought to the table because Erie doesn't pay Board members.

I bring this up because of the quote Mayor Moore had in the Camera about Erie's higher impact fees: “Quality has a price. We are not trying to be Lafayette.”

2 comments:

Doktorbombay said...

I read this article before you posted this, Dan.

I didn't have the same take on Moore's comment that you had. I didn't read it as a dig at neighboring councils.

None of the towns in BoCo pay their councils enough to make up for the time commitment. Planning Commissions many times have more onerous time commitments, depending on what's going on in the towns, and get what for it? Nada.

In the nearly 20 years I've lived in EastBoCo, I've seen Louisville talk down to and about Lafayette like it was Louisville's ugly cousin, and I've seen Lafayette do the same thing to Erie. These attitudes are deep seated and from I'm told go back many, many years. It never surprises me, then, when I read or hear someone from Lafayette make an underhanded comment about Louisville, or Erie about Lafayette.

But, the sniping in both directions has to stop. All of EastBoCo needs to cooperate on several issues, not just with each other but with Broomfield and Weld.

Here's hoping Mr. Moore chimes in.

Anonymous said...

Knowing Moore as I do, he tells me he likes to say stuff like this to impress his constituents, that he is "looking out for them". Non residents don't vote in Erie (of course these days with these electronic voting machines one never knows).

Years ago, I am told that our mayor convinced Councillor Phillips to propose raising Lafayette City Council pay at a council meeting. Frank did it and the reaction of the members was no. Our mayor, seeing the negative reaction, joined in with the NO side and left Frank hanging.

So I have to apologize as I normally say in four years I haven't seen the mayor proposed something. Now I must say at least there is one. But he did it through another council member.

Please rate this comment low.