Welcome!

This forum is a sounding board for a range of issues facing eastern Boulder County. I will prompt discussions with my posts and elected officials can tap into the concerns of citizens here, and explain their rationale on decisions. Follow along with the latest discussion by checking the list of recent comments on the right. You can comment with your name, a nickname or anonymously if you wish. You can become a contributor as well. Thank you for your comments!
Latest Post:

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sex Ed Worth Talking About Some More?

The last few days have been very baby-centric. Kyla says hello to all. Back to the blog today with a comment on Sex Education.

I had followed this through St Vrain Valley School District Board minutes (p. 15), and in the Times Call today it hits the front page: Who should be teaching kids about sex? The Boulder High Conference on World Affairs panel flap brought this to a point. Concerns raised by those afraid of sexual discussions between adults and minors: the appropriateness of birth control and homosexuality as they relate to moral judgements. What if something is presented as fact that bumps against a belief system that says said fact is morally wrong?

Is public school sex ed troubling to you? I'm sure it's different now than when I was in junior high; I think you had to have a permission slip and could opt out if your parents wanted.

With the District saying they want to be sure they follow state laws requiring science-based instruction, it seems that parental permission to take the class is the way to address the concerns of people not wanting their kids to learn anything other than home-based dogma. Fair enough, they'll learn it on their own eventually.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, as a new parent, you may not yet be in the know.

It's what they learn by themselves and what they don't thats the issue. My wife is an RN. You should hear the stories she tells.

Dan Powers said...

Yes, I need to start to understand just what's being said, and if I would support it. Is it possible to have a problem with the biology of sexual reproduction? I think people in my own family still get queasy realizing I had a child. Means I must have been up to no good, after 6 years of marriage...

A uniquely American thing to be prudish re: sex yet the culture is all about it.

Doktorbombay said...

Ooooo, speaking of queasy, I still can't believe my parents had sex. Ugh. And, at least 3 times, too.

I was up in Washington visiting my new grandson last month. Weird to know for sure my daughter had sex.

These feelings are shared by most. And, this is primarily why I think the biology of human sex is OK for teaching in school to the kids, but there should also be required instruction for the parents on options they have for taking the biology discussion further with their kids, if they want to. Schools could provide parents with tools for these discussions.

What level the parent chooses to take this is up to them, but they will be required to attend at least an orientation meeting to discuss the options.

Costly? Perhaps not as costly as teen pregnancies.

Anonymous said...

Sex ed has a lot more to it than the "birds and the bees". (Why is it called that?)

I get to hear the war stories of the unintended consequences every day.